Monday, April 8, 2013

"GREAT EXPECTATIONS" - CONCLUSION - DUMBER...AND DUMBER!

Hi Friends!

Continuing the story behind my song "Great Expectations" and the events of New Years Eve 1973:

When my daughter was younger - much younger - and sometimes actually accepted my advice - I'd tell her to please "use your noodle"...which as the years went on,  I adjusted to mean "take care of yourself."  In-other-words: try to make well-thought-out decisions regarding personal safety...evaluate situations...don't do anything grossly stupid....terrific advice, right? Right!...except that I was the possibly the worst possible role model...

There are two reasons why the events of New Years, 1973 are such an important milestone in my life.

First  reason:  the friends I spent that day and evening with are all still my friends.  That's amazing. (And what's even more amazing is that we are all - knock on wood! - still alive!)  The Avenger of Edenn. The Big Guy. Larry and the Solomon Brothers...it's been a long time....so much has happened.  Work. Marriage. Divorce. Children. Location changes. Even retirement and - for some of us - disability.  The bonding that occurred that New Years Eve jump-started my closest and most enduring friendships. And it cannot be underestimated how important that was - still is - to me, someone who had all kinds of difficulties making friends and communicating with others (exasperated by the fact that my parents moved the family several times while we were growing up, each move causing additional kinds of problems as I grew older). We began New Years Eve as friends - and finished it as brothers. We really care about one another, this group of friends - that's a good thing.

Now for reason # 2:  that's a little different. We were all extremely intelligent young men who made a series of very dumb and immature decisions that nearly cost us our lives. When I look back, I  just shake my head in amazement. How could so many smart people make so many stupid decision? (Even if they were only twenty years of age? No excuse!)

Well,  I know why.
Women.
Sex.

I worked together with a good friend who used to say that if he and I paid enough attention to making money instead of chasing women, we'd both be very comfortable and wealthy - and we'd have the women anyway. Well....that statement is certainly debatable...but risking one's life to meet women is not.

It's just dumb.

On this particular New Years Eve we had a long ride from Suffolk County to Brooklyn. Two cars. The Solomon Brothers were in their little VW bug.  I drove the second car -  Larry, the Avenger of Edenn, and The Big Guy all rode with me. It was my very first car, a blue 1967 Dodge Dart that my Dad gave me when I entered college.  I don't know how it is for women but to a guy....well, you always remember you're very first automobile. I had saved enough money to install an Eight Track Tape Deck and the most modern speakers. I loved driving that car!

We met at my parent's home for some drinks first - of course - then headed out to the highway. Our friend "Musical" Michael had invited us to a party with many more women than men...and the women would be particularly friendly. (Or so Michael said.) None of us had had much success yet with women.  Damn we were looking forward to that party!

Really dumb.

It was too long a drive just to travel. Of course we had to "liven" the trip up a bit. So  we started the party early,  Drinking in the car.  Several times on the way to Brooklyn we pulled over on the side of the highway and exchanged bottles of booze.  Beer.  Wine.  Jack Daniels? Driving into Brooklyn we would stop at the red lights, get out and trade bottles. Trade passengers.  We were crazy. We had to stop In the Canarsie section of Brooklyn to pick up an old friend of The Avenger, Matthew (The Missing Link). Matthew brought a case of beer with him.  He was a welcome addition to the group. We put him in the VW bug with the Solomon Brothers.

And then...as the song says:

          "...when we got there we discovered
          fifty guys and only three girls
          and the women who were there
          thought they were god's gift to the world
          nothing left to do but try  to get off
          on a wicked little punch
          and plate of spaghetti sauce
          with great expectations..."

                  (c) by stevenn beck

"Musical" Michael shrugged his shoulders when we asked what happened. "My girlfriend said she would bring some friends who would bring some friends who would bring some friends." he explained. "But she got busy - and forgot to invite them all."  I just looked at him.  We'd driven all the way from Long Island!

It turned into a "Mr. Statistics" evening (you know, the poor guy from Part Two of this story, who performed a statistical analysis  of the chance for romantic success at Stony Brook and arrived at the conclusion he virtually no chance to find a woman!)  The party continued of course, the drinks flowed. Eventually my friends and I left, winding up at a diner in Canarsie where we partied with the help and saved The Big Guy from (literally) drowning in a bowl of spaghetti. Then...came the big decision....

It was 4am and snowing lightly.  Marty suggested we stay over at his parent's home. And drive back to Suffolk County the next day. "Use your noodle" as I would tell my daughter. Makes perfect sense, right? So naturally we told him "no thanks"...we were determined to make it back home. And so - after dropping Marty off at his parents' house - we started back.

Dumb, dumb, incredibly dumb!

The Solomon Brothers...trying to follow us in the snowy darkness...lost track of the Dart, made some wrong turns - and wound up on the Belt Parkway headed towards the Verrazano Bridge - the wrong direction. They spent hours trying to figure this out - in a pre-GPS age, the Brothers would turn around, drive for awhile, somehow get confused, turn around again...and wind up near the Verrazano Bridge! They eventually arrived back home at 8 or 9am, safe and sound, staying awake and with no repercussions. They were the lucky ones.

The Big Guy and The Avenger were so drunk, we had to carry them to the car, lay them out in the backseat. (It wasn't easy.) I was having trouble focusing so I asked my friend Larry to drive. Larry's idea of a good time was to spend a few hours at a bar and then weave his car over the double yellow line on a two-lane highway...this was the guy who essentially functioned as our "designated driver!"

       "driving home in the early morn
       gonna try once again
       got to believe that tomorrow
       will be a better end

       well the snow fell hard
       on the expressway of regret
       everybody low as someone yells
      "do you smell anything burning, beck?"
       so we pull the dart to the side
       fall out and watch as the flames
       they ride high
       with great expectations..."

On the Long Island Expressway Larry drove over something. There was a crashing sound, the car jerked. He and I looked back. We couldn't tell what he'd hit. Everything else seemed fine - so we continued on. As we turned off on exit 61, Patchogue-Holbrook Road, Larry mentioned he smelled smoke. Half-asleep, I looked over at the thermostat to discover the dial had pushed way past the red "danger" line. We pulled over to the side as smoke erupted from the engine. Dragged The Big Guy and the Avenger out of the car - they were sound asleep - and out into the cold snow. And stood there for a moment watching my car - my very first car - literally go up in smoke. With nothing else to do - no cell phones back then - we trudged through the early morning cold to my parents' home  still a mile. And arrived there freezing, exhausted, wet. It as 6AM, New Years Day.

The guys all drove home. I passed out in my bed. My Dad woke me up at eight in the morning. Pounded on the door to my room. "Steven, where's the Dart?"  And I had to give him the explanation. Drive with him in his car to where we'd had to abandon the Dart. He looked at the Dart. Looked at me. Looked back at the Dart. He never said a word. It was must worse than telling me I hadn't "used my noodle".

The Dart - my Dart - was finished. (Later that week we discovered that whatever Larry had hit on the Expressway had caused leaks in both the radiator and the gas tank.)  Gas escaping....water escaping...and the temperature rising...not exactly "looking out for our noodles".

Why did we have to take chances like that....drink to excess...risk our lives to go to a party....

Good question....and the subject for another day.

Until then, be safe!  Please.
Stevenn








     






No comments: